Marriage Preparation Requirements
Fr. Jayd Neely, Pastor of St. Mary's
While many engaged couples focus on preparing for the wedding day,
the Church encourages them to spend their engagement
preparing for a strong, lifelong marriage —
and the responsibilities and challenges that come with it.
- Allow for a minimum of six months for the marriage preparation process (from the first meeting with Fr. Neely to the wedding date)
- Marriage should take place at St. Mary Catholic Church. Attire must be suitable for church.
- Couple will meet with Fr. Neely on at least three occasions for pre-marital counseling.
- First meeting (2 hours)
- Second meeting (1 hour) to discuss FOCCUS inventory results
- Third meeting (1 hour) to plan wedding Mass and other details
- Marriage Preparation Fee of $50 (payable to St. Mary's) should be paid at/or before first meeting.
- Couple must attend Natural Family Planning classes. (See submenu for details)
- Couple must attend Three to Get Married Retreat. (See submenu for details)
- Rehearsal time for night before wedding must be set with Fr. Neely before scheduled (in case he has other conflict)
- Send newly-issued Baptismal certificates “with notations” for each person to:
Fr. Jayd Neely
c/o University Catholic
2004 Terrace Place
Nashville TN 37203
(To request your Baptismal certificate, please call or email the parish where you were baptized and ask for a newly-issued Baptismal certificate with notations. They are accustomed to getting this request.)
Note: If for some reason you and your fiancé are preparing for marriage long distance, an exception may be made for you to complete your preparation online at